Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Queens boxer wins in Connecticut.

Spotlight
Jenn "Smalls" Rubin
Boxing out of Queens NY

Jenn Rubin is a 20 year old majoring in political science at Baruch college. She is also one baaad NYMMAer (and by bad we mean good). Nicknamed Smalls due to her 4'10 stature, she is force and focus of our boxing program.
Scheduled for her first amateur boxing match on September 24th in Connecticut, Jenn has been displaying her undying work ethic. When asked what her main driving factors are she told me:"Originally it was fun and offered a challenge I never had physically and mentality . Now, I want to fight because I know I will never have this opportunity again once I head back to school. Also I want to showcase what I have been working so hard on and make everybody proud. Her commitment doesn't go unnoticed by anybody! Her last training day went as follows:
3 rounds-light drilling
6 rounds-sparring with Pro Patricia Alvicar
4 miles-about 29 minutes
5 rounds of interval training (usually does 10-15 rounds. Those of you that know our interval training-it's EXHAUSTING.)
3 rounds shadowboxing
3 rounds heavy bag
3 rounds slip bag
3 rounds double end bag
3 rounds-more sparring (this time with training partner Rachel)
2 rounds- shadowboxing
4 rounds- drilling/wall drill
Brief bio
Name: Jenn Rubin
Age: 20
Weight: 125
Live in: Queens NY
Train at: New York Mixed Martial Arts in Queens NY
How long have you been with us? 1 1/2 year.
What got you started in boxing?
I use to play softball back in high school. When college hit, I was feeling out of shape and decided I wanted to get back and shape and hit things.
What part of your training is most enjoyable?
Sparring. I like getting in the ring with the people from the gym because each person has something to offer. There is such a variety of talent at the gym. Each person forces me out of my comfort zone and makes me a better boxer.
Least enjoyable?
Running. Running. Oh and running
Inspirations?
My brother Jed who is a Corporal in the United States Marine Corps, my sister Janelle and the general NYMMA lifestyle : )"
Ultimate goal(s)?
Win
 Signature move:
Right uppercut to the body followed by a cross to the head.


No comments:

Post a Comment